Friday 11 February 2011

Week One

This Week's Weight Loss: 2.5lbs
Total Weight Loss: 2.5lbs
This Week's Training Activities: Exercise Bike, Walking, Jogging, Jumping & walking up 18 flights of stairs!

Since registering to do Mad Monk, things have already become very real.

I recieved a package through the post on Wednesday from the lovely team at the Stroke Association. Inside was my fundraising pack & running vest (which I will be very proud to be wearing on D-Day). As soon as I tried on the running vest, I freaked out a little. This is the sort of thing sports people wear, not a self confessed couch potato. I have to say though, it looks fab!
My work colleague, Debbie who is also taking part in Mad Monk managed to bag me a brilliant Adidas training shirt which I'm really chuffed with. Its already been worn when I've done my exercise, its fab!

Work colleagues have given us both running tips and advice & hopefully in Week 2 I will be following the 'From couch to 5k' podcast that is available on the NHS choices site.
One of my managers also told me that when he was training for the 3 peaks challenge he used to run up the stairs at work (18 flights) twice a day to build his stamina so I thought I'd have a go. I managed it in 2 mins, 21 secs. Not bad at all, I thought! I imagined it was going to take me at least 5 minutes. I was absolutely shattered afterwards but its something I'm going to try & do at least 2-3 times a week. David (colleague) & I are having a competition on who can do the stairs the fastest. If I can manage it in 2 minutes eventually, I will be pretty pleased with myself.

I popped into Decathalon near my parents today to get a cheap pair of running shoes & shorts (I didn't want to spend too much if they're going to be taking a plunge into the River Derwent). Although I look like I'm ready to take part in a 10k assault course I really don't feel ready at all! Exercising this week has been a very painful and tiring experience and i'm finding myself with less free time on my hands than ever before. The main thing that will keep me going with the training is the thought of raising the money for the Stroke Association. Strokes are something that run in my dad's side of my family and I really do worry about that. My dad already suffers from diabetes and high blood pressure so if I can make just a little bit of a difference and help fund the Stroke Association's research, I will be happy.


Feeling positive from my purchases today I decided to try out the skipping rope. I think I lasted 1 minute before getting a very painful stitch. After recovering from that I decided to go for a jog. 30 seconds jogging and then walking until I recover. I managed to do jog 8 times with not much recovery time which I was chuffed with & I really enjoyed it. I'm already looking forward to my next run.

Wish me luck for week 2 & don't forget to sponsor me! www.justgiving.com/madbecki 

No comments:

Post a Comment